Saturday, July 08, 2006

Net Neutrality Defined

It's appropriate that the "inventor of the web" define Net Neutrality. According to Tim Berners-Lee, Net Neutrality is this:

If I pay to connect to the Net with a certain quality of service, and you pay to connect with that or greater quality of service, then we can communicate at that level.

That's all. Its up to the ISPs to make sure they interoperate so that that happens.

Net Neutrality is NOT asking for the internet for free.

Net Neutrality is NOT saying that one shouldn't pay more money for high quality of service. We always have, and we always will.

When I pay my ISP for connecting to the Internet, I pay for the bandwidth for ALL traffic I choose to send an receive. If it is phone traffic (VOIP), web (HTTP) or video (RTSP), I want my bandwidth and quality of service to be the same across all protocols independent of the payload source or destination. The idea that my ISP (currently Verizon) could give priority to their VOIP services, their movie services and their web sites, while slowing or retarding the quality of other competing services seems repugnant to me and simply unfair. Net neutrality is important because it keeps the Internet a level playing field where competition can thrive.

This is the defnition of Net Neutrality. Don't let the Corporate Elite and their "bought" congressmen tell you any different. There's a GREAT video of Tim Berners-Lee sharing his views on the current Net Neutrality debate here http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/144

GO TO http://www.savetheinternet.com/ AND GET BUSY!

1 comment:

Vivian J. Paige said...

Good post. And welcome to the blogsphere!